SBC/AT&T Retirement Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It could work

3 posters

Go down

It could work Empty It could work

Post by Bill McDonald Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:12 pm

This style of communication is what is used for a couple of professional organizations of which I'm a member. It's very helpful in keeping the community up to date regarding important developments and annoucements. It's also very helpful in building relationships outside the core purpose for the board--members are free to pick and choose to participate as they see fit. Each fora can be assigned separate moderators if needed to maintain order and civility. A full range of moderation tools are available for this purpose.

This particular forum has been structured so that guests can both view and post without registering. bounce

The others have been set up so that guests can view but not leave a message. To post in these you must register (a relatively painless experience--easier I think than Yahoo). affraid

Users can embedded video, pictures, text.

McDjr

Last edited by Bill McDonald on Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill McDonald
Bill McDonald
Admin
Admin

https://sbcepr.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

It could work Empty Re: It could work

Post by mjd Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:01 pm

I think this is an excellent idea as long as the topics reflect the actual content of the messages.

For example, the last 20 or so (or 50 or whatever) messages in the yahoo group all had the same subject--"Re: [sbcepr] Re: National Retiree Legislative Network . . . yada, yada, yada. Of course, the CONTENT of those messages had gotten way off track because people don't change the subject line.

mjd

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill McDonald Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:25 pm

mjd wrote:I think this is an excellent idea as long as the topics reflect the actual content of the messages.

For example, the last 20 or so (or 50 or whatever) messages in the yahoo group all had the same subject--"Re: [sbcepr] Re: National Retiree Legislative Network . . . yada, yada, yada. Of course, the CONTENT of those messages had gotten way off track because people don't change the subject line.

That's the beauty of assigning moderators to each forum (as many as will step up to the plate). They sorta ride herd on the interactions taking place in their respective area of interest, moving any messages that would better fit somewhere else.

McDjr
Bill McDonald
Bill McDonald
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hllovell Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:42 pm

People have to go to the trouble to set up their id and remember to check the forums.. but if they are notified each time there is a new post they may be more willing to participate..
hllovell
hllovell

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill McDonald Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:49 pm

hllovell wrote:People have to go to the trouble to set up their id and remember to check the forums.. but if they are notified each time there is a new post they may be more willing to participate..

For example, HL, in response to your post, I received an e-mail message in my personal inbox that told me that a reply to my post has been received. There was a link supplied in that message that I clicked on, which took me immediately to your post.

Painless and just a quick as the Yahoo experience, but with one exception: I knew when I clicked on the link that this was something I was interested in and wanted to hear about.

Another feature that makes it very nice is on this forum's homepage there is a link up near the top that says something like "unread posts since last visit." Clicking on this takes you to a list of messages (regardless of what forum they were posted in) that you can peruse for interest. Clicking on these threads will take you to the forum for further inspection.

McDjr
Bill McDonald
Bill McDonald
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hllovell Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:09 pm

I got an email response.. since I had set mine up to do that too.. works just fine...

I had used the unread posts before in other forums.. but was always having to remember to go to the forum.. the email response will remind me of that...
hllovell
hllovell

Back to top Go down

Post by hllovell Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:11 pm

oh. course. the email reponse will drive some people crazy... some don't want any emails at all..

but if you want to be driven crazy... try using the mobile email option on your cell phone with the notify turned on.... each time you get an email you get a tone and message saying you have an email (even when you are not in your email) on your cell phone.... I quickly turned this feature off... might be handy for some but when getting 100s of emails a day it was really a bother....
hllovell
hllovell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down